Quintyn Howard-Evans has seen Frome’s fortunes improve from the 1990s, when two-thirds of the shops in Catherine Hill were empty.
Shops and Shopping
Diane Rouse ran a fashion shop on Catherine Hill for 21 years, until 1994.
Number 30 Catherine Hill was first owned by Bradley’s, then became Fosters, a chain of men’s outfitters, until 1998.
Janet Ruddick and Diana Ingram recall a time when there were shops all the way down from Badcox to the Market Place.
Before supermarkets came to Frome, many shoppers went to Catherine Hill shops.
Tony Paniccia and his brothers and sisters ran the ice cream business started by their grandfather in 1926 until 1991.